Sunday, February 7, 2010

Paper beads!

One of my newest endeavors is paper beads! One of the big questions about paper beads that I have been asked is "do they fall apart?" The answer that I usually give is "well...all beads can fall apart or break." In reality, paper beads can actually be very durable. The ones I make are painted with several coats of paint and several coats of varnish which makes the paper . They end up being pretty strong little beads. They aren't waterproof or crush proof so I don't recommend swimming with them or setting heavy things on them. One of the best things about paper beads in my opinion, is that they can be made out of recycled paper. You can use old magazines, printer paper from the recycle bin, scrapbooking paper scraps, old book pages, old sheet music, origami paper and almost any other paper you can think of! They can be painted or left as is before being coated with varnish for protection and shine. They are extremely versatile and add a unique touch to any project. The picture above is just one example of how these beads can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment